The Alarm on the Carbon Monoxide Detector is Beeping – Now What?!By Home Security Source Dec 4, 2010 | 8:35:00 amPosted in: Carbon Monoxide
For the vast majority of people, smoke detectors are a common device seen in homes, schools and building. As a result most people are familiar with the sound of a fire alarm and know what it means when this home alarm goes off –someone is either burning dinner or there is a fire somewhere. And for the most part, people know what safety precautions to take when the smoke or fire alarm goes off. In the case of a burnt dinner, throw the burnt remains of dinner down the drain. In the event of a true fire, gather everyone up and leave the house immediately, then call the fire department.
Carbon monoxide (CO) detectors on the other hand are relatively newer home alarm for many people. It may be safe to say that most people may never (or will never) hear a carbon monoxide detector go off. Familiarity with this alarm sound (which is usually an intermittent beeping sound) and evacuation procedures may be obscure to most. So it is important to understand that ignoring carbon monoxide detectors can be dangerous. CO is an odorless and colorless gas, which is why it is often referred to as the "silent killer." When this alarm sounds (intermittent beeps) it means this gas has been leaking unbeknownst to you and has reached a dangerous level.
What do you do when the alarm (intermittent beeping) goes off? The first thing to do, DO NOT ignore the beeping of the alarm. Should you or others in your household experience any of the following symptoms indicating the possibility of carbon monoxide poisoning, such as headache, nausea, dizziness, or confusion, you must get to a hospital or call 9-1-1 immediately. And, DO NOT re-enter the home until emergency services has indicated it is safe to return.
On the other hand, if no one is showing signs or symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning, go ahead and open all windows to get air ventilation. Next, turn off any appliances such as your gas-fired furnace or a running generator. After the home has gotten ventilation, reset the carbon monoxide detectors. If the detectors do not sound again, call a qualified technician to inspect and repair any problem. Should the alarm sound a second time (and no one is showing signs of CO poisoning, vent the home and call your local fire department. Emergency personnel will advise you when it is safe to return home.
*Content expressed in Home Security Source does not represent the thoughts and opinions of ADT unless explicitly indicated. Bloggers featured on HomeSecuritySource.com are professionals compensated by ADT. Please visit our Community Guidelines page for additional details.