Think Home Safety When Traveling For Winter VacationsBy Robert Siciliano Mar 1, 2011 | 2:00:00 pmPosted in: Travel
Contrary to what some might suggest, I’ve never thought it was a good idea to place your name on a “stop mail” list at the post office. Because some crack head postal employee now has a list of opportunities.
It’s the same thing with stopping delivery of your newspaper. Once you are on that list, it is known you are away.
The best case scenario for both issues is to have a trusted friend, family member or neighbor grab your mail and newspaper for you.
Never list your vacation plans on social media. The last thing you need to be doing on Facebook is telling the world you are 2000 miles away.
Put lights on timers to give your home the “lived in look”. ADT Pulse does all this form you.
Do all the fundamentals like invest in a home alarm system that sends an alert to local law enforcement that your house has been broken into. Studies show as many as 25% of all American homes are equipped with a home security system. Monitoring is generally a buck a day.
Set yourself up with home security cameras. Mine can be accessed from my iPhone and online. It’s kind of addicting, and I’m always checking out the scene at the homestead when I travel.
Here are a few tips to help protect the safety of your home while you are gone:
• If you are traveling by car make sure it’s running properly, check belts and tires and oil. Have a good spare and carry an emergency kit.
• If you are heading overnight pack your car in your garage or late at night under the cover of darkness.
• Use timers on indoor and outdoor lights.
• Let a trusted neighbor and the police know you are traveling.
• Unplug garage door openers.
• Have a neighbor park their car in your driveway.
• If grass is still growing where you live and if you’re gone for a bit have a landscaper mow your lawn.
• Don’t share your travel plans on social media or on a voicemail outgoing message.
• Lock everything of significant value in a safe.
Robert Siciliano personal and home security specialist to Home Security Source discussing Home Security on NBC Boston. Disclosures.
Road Hazard Ahead! Dangerous Winter Conditions and Driving is a Deadly Combination 10 Items for Your Winter Automobile Survival Kit Stay Warm and Safe This Winter: Winter Safety Tips
Flying south for the winter? Remember to secure your vacation home
*Content expressed in Home Security Source does not represent the thoughts and opinions of ADT unless explicitly indicated. Bloggers featured on HomeSecuritySource.com are professionals compensated by ADT. Please visit our Community Guidelines page for additional details.