Pets Behaving BadlyBy Home Security Source Jul 13, 2010 11:25:00 AMPosted in: Fire Prevention, Home, Pet Safety
Did you know that 88 percent of pet owners consider their pets to be valued family members? Just like other members of the family, pets make mistakes and cause accidents. In the past six years, curious and sometimes careless family pets have started thousands of home fires.
In North Carolina, Magoo the monkey opened a can of gas that sparked a house fire. In Pennsylvania, a pet alligator knocked over a space heater that ignited its owner’s home. While these incidents seem far-fetched, pets can be serious fire hazards, especially if left alone in unsafe environments.
However, the truth is most pet-started fires are the result of hungry dogs and clumsy cats. In Oklahoma Lucy ‘the cake loving dog’ turned on the stove as she tried to get her paws on some fresh-from-the-oven cake. Food left unattended on stovetops is a potential fire hazard because larger dogs can turn on burners as they attempt to devour the treats. Cats on the other hand, have been known to knock over lit candles as they slink around homes.
ADT has teamed up with the American Kennel Club (AKC) for the third annual National Pet Fire Safety Day, on July 15th, to spread awareness and education about fire safety for family pets. Pet owners have a responsibility to be educated and prepared for unexpected emergencies. Visit the ADT and AKC websites for more information and safety tips. And remember, while your pet may sometimes behave badly you can take preventative measures to avoid an accident in your home becoming a national headline like this: “Dog Looking for Pizza Turns on Stove—Burns Down Kitchen”.
*Content expressed in Home Security Source does not represent the thoughts and opinions of ADT unless explicitly indicated. Bloggers featured on HomeSecuritySource.com are professionals compensated by ADT. Please visit our Community Guidelines page for additional details.