New Hampshire Home Invader Sentenced To LifeBy Robert Siciliano Apr 8 , 2011 | 10:35:00 amPosted in: Burglary & Loss Prevention, Home
The trial and sentencing of a New Hampshire home invasion that goes back to 2009 where a gang of late teens and 20 somethings broke into a home while the mom and daughter were sleeping is over. The dad was away on business. In the course of events, the mom died of a machete wound and the daughter was severely injured.
CBS News reports “Judge Gillian Abramson imposed the mandatory sentence of life without parole, telling Gribble (the lead home invader/murderer), "infinity is not enough jail time."
Gribble claimed the insanity defense and admitted he did it along with a guy named Spader and that they intended to kill anyone they found in the house.
“Most of Gribble's knife blows targeted the girl. A lead investigator said that even as she lay on the bedroom floor bloodied and feigning death, she opened one eye and watched as Gribble plunged a knife into the throat of her mother, Kimberly Cates.”
The father said in a victim impact statement: "I've lived the accounts of Kim's murder one excruciating blow after another. Through these accounts I have heard my wife's last breath, heard my daughter's screams, seen my daughter's perfect body mutilated. I don't have any illusions this invasion of the sanctity of our home will ever be behind us. Jaime and I won't live a day without thinking of the horrific things that happened in our home and that Kim will never again be with us."
Here are 5 tips to help keep you safe and prevent a home invasion:
1. Never talk to strangers via an open or screen door. Always talk to them through a locked door.
2. NEVER let children open the door. Always require and adult to do it.
3. Install a home burglar alarm and keep it on 24/7/365. With a home alarm system on, when someone knocks on the door, a conscious decision has to be made to turn off the alarm. Most people will keep it on.
4. Not all home invaders knock, some break in without warning. Just another reason to have that alarm on.
5. Install a 24-hour camera surveillance system. Cameras are a great deterrent. Have them pointed to every door and access point.
Robert Siciliano personal and home security specialist to Home Security Source discussing home invasions on the Gordon Elliot Show. Disclosures
11 Ways To Prevent Home Invasions
Home Invaders Face The Death Penalty
Home Invasion Victim Shot With His Own Gun
18 Snagged In Home Invasion Ring
*Content expressed in Home Security Source does not represent the thoughts and opinions of ADT unless explicitly indicated. Bloggers featured on HomeSecuritySource.com are professionals compensated by ADT. Please visit our Community Guidelines page for additional details.