Holiday Home Safety QuizBy Home Security Source Dec 17 , 2010 | 10:35:00 amPosted in: DIY Safety, Fire Prevention, Home
According to the U.S. Fire Administration, fires occurring during winter claim the lives of an estimated 945 people, injure 3,825 more, and cause over $1.7 billion in property loss each year. Many causes stem from very dangerous, but preventable fire hazards. Take a moment to test your home safety smarts.
1.) Holiday lights and decorations on the exterior of your home should be…
a. Bright and flashy, you want to outdo the neighbors!
b. Rated for outdoor use only and flame retardant.
c. Attached to numerous extension cords.
2.) Prior to using the fireplace, make sure…
a. The stockings are hung neatly in front of it.
b. To toss in some spare wrapping paper for kindling.
c. Your fireplace is cleaned out and you have a carbon monoxide detector.
3.) Everyone is over for a holiday meal, in the kitchen it’s best that…
a. The food cooks unattended for a while to let the flavors get to know each other
b. Everyone crowds in the kitchen to offer help.
c. Someone stays with any food that is cooking to reduce the risk of a fire.
4.) You’re getting ready for bed, before turning in, make sure…
a. All holiday lights are on, tis the season!
b. To turn off all interior and exterior holiday lights.
c. Candles are lit so Santa can see where to put the presents.
5.) Holiday plants look so festive and fun, so you should
a. Probably opt out or keep out of children and pets reach, as some are poisonous.
b. Garnish the food platters with them.
c. Make garland necklaces out of them for the pets and kids.
Check out how you did below!
1.) B Rated for outdoor use and flame retardant. Never use seasonal lighting outside your home unless it is specifically labeled for outdoor use. Choose lights that have been tested and deemed safe by a reputable testing laboratory, the best are UL or ETL. This is just one way to protect your home from fire during the holiday season.
2.) C Your fireplace is cleaned out and you have a carbon monoxide detector. Without one, the detection of this deadly gas is impossible. You should also have your fireplace and chimney professionally cleaned and inspected to reduce fire risk from buildup.
3.) C Always make sure someone is overseeing any food that is cooking in the kitchen. Because most home fires start there, get familiar with holiday cooking safety tips.
4.) B Turn off all interior and exterior holiday lights. This will help prevent an electrical fire.
5.) A Probably opt out or keep out of children and pets reach. Many traditional holiday plants like mistletoe and poinsettias can cause severe intestinal problems in humans and pets if ingested.
*Content expressed in Home Security Source does not represent the thoughts and opinions of ADT unless explicitly indicated. Bloggers featured on HomeSecuritySource.com are professionals compensated by ADT. Please visit our Community Guidelines page for additional details.