Earth Day Home Greening TipsBy Home Security Source Apr 21, 2011 | 11:30:00 amPosted in: Home Security Tips
The theme for Earth Day 2011 is “A Billion Acts of Green.” It sounds impressive, but how can you fit into the picture? What can you do to be part of Earth Day and how can you be one of those billion acts? It actually is pretty easy and you can start at home. Every little bit adds up and helps when we are talking about the environment.
The ADT Pulse system is a great place to start. It not only provides your home with a security system, it also gives you the ability to manage your home. Here are a couple of things ADT Pulse can do to help you be more energy efficient and environmentally friendly:
• Regulate your thermostat – ADT Pulse allows you to turn on or off your heating and air-conditioning from anywhere using a computer, laptop or cell phone. It also allows you to set the temperature and move it up or down. This helps you use less energy and saves $$$.
• Control your lighting – ADT Pulse lets you do the same thing with your lighting. It allows you to turn lights on/off from anywhere. You don’t have to leave a light on, so that you can see when you return home. You can turn that light on as you drive up to your house. Again, more energy saved and few $$$ spent.
• Turn on or off appliances – did you forget to shut off you the iron, space heater or coffee pot? ADT Pulse lets you turn off connected appliances from anywhere. Obviously, this uses less energy and lowers utility bills.
According to theU.S. Green Building Council here are some other things you can do at home to be a little greener:
• Switch to compact florescent light blubs – Switching out five of your most heavily used lights can save you up to $100 a year, not to mention make you more environmental friendly.
• Plug air leaks – It’s easy enough to do with weather stripping and caulking. Most leaks happen around doors and windows.
• Choose ENERGY STAR® Appliances – these appliances have been tested and meet a high level of energy efficiency.
• Reduce your water usage – Cut down indoors by putting flow restrictors on all of your faucets and showerheads. And you can reduce water usage outside by landscaping with native plants and draught resistant foliage.
Is Your Home Feeling Bloated? Put It On An Energy Diet! Home Automation Provides Energy Savings and Convenience
Remote Home Thermostat Control
Automated Lighting Enhances Convenience and Home Security
*Content expressed in Home Security Source does not represent the thoughts and opinions of ADT unless explicitly indicated. Bloggers featured on HomeSecuritySource.com are professionals compensated by ADT. Please visit our Community Guidelines page for additional details.