So Your Carbon Monoxide Detector Is Alerting You… Here’s What To DoBy Home Security Source Feb 22, 2011 | 11:00:00 amPosted in: Carbon Monoxide, Home
While it’s important to have a carbon monoxide detector installed in your home with working batteries, that’s only half of the battle. If that alarms goes off, does anyone in the household know what steps to take next? Part of the responsibility of having a carbon monoxide detector in your home is also the awareness of what to do if that alarm sounds. Here’s the protocol everyone should follow:
• Never ignore the alarm. Because carbon monoxide is odorless and tasteless, it’s dubbed “the silent killer.” Every alarm should be taken seriously.
• Open all of the windows to allow the house to air out and turn off all appliances right away.
• Evacuate all people and animals and get to fresh air immediately, especially if anyone is experiencing symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning.
• Call 911 in case a medical emergency develops from exposure.
• Alert your neighbors of a carbon monoxide problem in your home, especially if you live in an apartment complex because the problem may affect the entire building.
• Call a qualified technician to check your appliances before using them again.
• Do not go back inside the home until it’s aired out and any leak is fixed.
If you have any questions regarding potential carbon monoxide poisoning and detectors, visit the United States Environmental Protection Agency website.
The Alarm on the Carbon Monoxide Detector is Beeping – Now What?! Carbon Monoxide Poisoning Protection Tips A Little Common Sense Carbon Monoxide Safety Goes a Long Wa Family Avoids Carbon Monoxide Poisoning with Help from Alarm System
*Content expressed in Home Security Source does not represent the thoughts and opinions of ADT unless explicitly indicated. Bloggers featured on HomeSecuritySource.com are professionals compensated by ADT. Please visit our Community Guidelines page for additional details.