Carbon Monoxide: Cozying Up With a Silent KillerBy Home Security Source Oct 21, 2010 | 9:40:00 amPosted in: Carbon Monoxide, Home
Winter is a cozy time. We cuddle up under blankets and crank up the heat. It’s also a time when most carbon monoxide (CO) poisonings
happen, mainly because of the increased use of fuel-burning appliances and heating systems. Carbon monoxide is a silent killer. You cannot see or taste it -- and it’s also the leading cause of accidental poisoning deaths in the United States.
In February, the state of New York enacted strict carbon monoxide poisoning legislation requiring that CO detectors be installed in any family dwelling, new and old, as well as in rentals that have fuel burning applaiances or attached garages. Known as the Amanda’s Law
, the law was named for Amanda Hansen who was 16 when she was found unconscious at a friend’s basement sleepover. She had been exposed to lethal levels of carbon monoxide from a leaky broiler.
A carbon monoxide detector is the only way to keep your home safe from these poisonous gases. In addition to installing one, here are some other things to remember:
• Open flues completely when using a fireplace.
• Never burn charcoal or a barbecue grill inside a home.
• Never use portable fuel-burning camping equipment inside a home, garage, vehicle, or tent.
• Never leave a car or lawn mower running in an attached garage, even with the garage door open.
• Never operate unvented fuel-burning appliances in any room where people are sleeping.
• Never use the oven for a source of heat.
• Never run a gas-powered generator in a garage or basement.
If you don’t live in New York, talk to your legislators about passing an Amanda Law in your state.
*Content expressed in Home Security Source does not represent the thoughts and opinions of ADT unless explicitly indicated. Bloggers featured on HomeSecuritySource.com are professionals compensated by ADT. Please visit our Community Guidelines page for additional details.