Keyless Ignitions: Convenient or Dangerous?By Carbon Monoxide Jun 30, 2011 | 10:50:00 amPosted in: Carbon Monoxide
We love convenience. We pay extra for it and often have a hard time imagining the “olden days” when laundry machines were scarce and the Jetson’s were the only ones with smartphones. But sometimes the price for convenience is too high. Today more automobile manufactures are offering sleek, time-saving keyless ignitions that could be viewed as a potential safety threat.
The keyless ignition system technology allows drivers to unlock car doors and start the car with a key fob that never has to be taken out of a pocket or purse. Without the traditional turning of the key combined with new quiet engines some car owners have been reportedly exiting the car without powering it down. The result can be deadly carbon monoxide poisoning.
Carbon monoxide, a.k.a the silent killer, is an odorless, toxic gas found in combustion fumes. According to the Center for Disease Control and Prevention, carbon monoxide, poisoning results in about 400 unintentional deaths a year in the U.S. A car left running in an attached garage can cause carbon monoxide gases to build up, enter the home and quietly put residents in danger.
Keyless ignitions can be both convenient and dangerous so take extra care when operating cars with them. Always double check that your car engine is off before exiting your car, especially if you park in a garage attached to your home. And consider installing monitored carbon monoxide detectors that will alert you and your security provider to any possible threat.
Carbon Monoxide Poisoning Protection Tips
Carbon Monoxide: Cozying up with a Silent Killer Family Avoids Carbon Monoxide Poisoning with Help from Alarm System
*Content expressed in Home Security Source does not represent the thoughts and opinions of ADT unless explicitly indicated. Bloggers featured on HomeSecuritySource.com are professionals compensated by ADT. Please visit our Community Guidelines page for additional details.